Florencia

I love writing, but apparently I don't have any talent, or I can't find it (if it's something you can find), so my dream of becoming a writer is just that. I'm a lawyer now (yup, no kidding).

Anyway, I love books, music, movies, pizza, lemon pie and people with good sense of humor.  If you don't have any, if you make Mary Bennet look funny, interesting and witty, or if you're a fanatic that's still not acquainted with the fact that people have their own personal taste and therefore, their own opinions about books, music, movies, etc., so you can't bear that another person dislikes your favorite book, song, movie, etc., then please don't talk to me. Let's save the awkwardness :)

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale - Herman Melville, Andrew Delbanco, Tom Quirk Well, no one can say I didn't try. I understand it's a classic. A complex classic with meaningful metaphors. A Great American Novel that begins beautifully. Most of us, at some point, can relate to Captain Ahab (in other circumstances, more likely, but it happens). But I just couldn't keep reading those passages (lines, chapters) about every little detail on whales, whaling, whaling ships. I tried to read it in English. Then I thought, 'Well, my English is not excellent and this vocabulary is a bit complicated. Maybe that's why it's taking me so much time'. So I tried to read it in Spanish. And... no. It was still dense. I mean, I get it, it's called Moby Dick. I knew it was going to be some whaling involved. I wasn't expecting the author to write about partying by the sea or ships that mysteriously disappear because of a strange force that turns out to be the butler. But it was too much. It ended up being a long, tedious novel for me. (Emphasis in "for me". I'm not saying I could've written a better novel. This is just my opinion.) Anyway, it felt longer than it actually is.The author really loved sailing, whales... That's fine. As far as I'm concerned, I can't bear looking at a whale right now. Maybe in a few years... who knows. I hope I can finish it someday.

American Gods