Florencia

I love writing, but apparently I don't have any talent, or I can't find it (if it's something you can find), so my dream of becoming a writer is just that. I'm a lawyer now (yup, no kidding).

Anyway, I love books, music, movies, pizza, lemon pie and people with good sense of humor.  If you don't have any, if you make Mary Bennet look funny, interesting and witty, or if you're a fanatic that's still not acquainted with the fact that people have their own personal taste and therefore, their own opinions about books, music, movies, etc., so you can't bear that another person dislikes your favorite book, song, movie, etc., then please don't talk to me. Let's save the awkwardness :)

Cuentos de Saki - Saki, Eduardo Paz Leston, Ruben Massera ** There may be a little spoiler **I bought this book in Spanish. Then I read it in English, only to confirm (once again) that some translators are ruthless butchers. Anyway, reading Saki was a weird delight. I found a writer with unusual wit and a bit macabre at times. But I just couldn't stop reading nor feeling guilty because I was cracking up when someone wasn't having such a good time in his stories. It's Saki's fault. Him and his smart and playful writing. It's a perfect mixture between a normal sense of humor and a twisted one that makes people wonder why on Earth aren't you medicated. He can make you laugh with his characters' witty remarks, and also make you feel uncomfortable, uneasy. I loved “The Unrest-Cure”. A man that dislikes changes to the point of feeling irritated because of the relocation of an innocent thrush. Too funny! I'd like to know what is like to be so relaxed that you start questioning little things like how toasts fall (“Every time I accidentally dropped a toast, it fell jam side down; today, it fell the other way around. What's next? A five o'clock tea at 5.20 p.m.?”) or how flies fly (“I like a nice straight and level flight, stop flying on circles, damn it!”). Anyhow, I can relate to these characters; it takes a lot of courage to use curry on a non-curry day. “Sredni Vashtar” is another favorite of mine. Without his imagination, which was rampant under the spur of loneliness, he would have succumbed long ago.A beautiful line. I liked the other stories too, but especially “The Storyteller”, “The Open Window” (that girl is heartless), “Esmé”, “Tobermory”. I could have said that I liked the whole book and saved me all these nonsensical lines, really.

American Gods