Florencia

I love writing, but apparently I don't have any talent, or I can't find it (if it's something you can find), so my dream of becoming a writer is just that. I'm a lawyer now (yup, no kidding).

Anyway, I love books, music, movies, pizza, lemon pie and people with good sense of humor.  If you don't have any, if you make Mary Bennet look funny, interesting and witty, or if you're a fanatic that's still not acquainted with the fact that people have their own personal taste and therefore, their own opinions about books, music, movies, etc., so you can't bear that another person dislikes your favorite book, song, movie, etc., then please don't talk to me. Let's save the awkwardness :)

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald New review after watching the movie that I shouldn't have watched but I did anyway* Spoiler alert *First reviewFitzgerald's writing style is brilliant, simple. He wrote a great story in a few pages. It's easy to read but it doesn't underestimate the reader; it's beautifully written. Above all the superficiality of the characters, their strange yet familiar vision of the world, there's a story of love, regret and lost hopes. I recently bought this book. With all that Di Caprio fever, I wanted to read it before I surrender to the temptation of watching the movie (that ruined a couple of books for me). Maybe I should have read this before, but it's never to late to read about a dreamer and his never-ending quest. Yes, you can reinvent yourself from nothing until you reach the point of absurd materialism; however, that seems a bit easier than reaching to that green light that a lot of us can't even see.Post-movie review The other day, I finally watched the movie. And thank God I didn't watch it before reading the book. I didn't like it that much. It was such a vulgar freak show to watch. Like a weird circus with nice (and sometimes too over-the-top) visuals, lousy anachronistic music (at times) and poor content. The actors are fine, I liked their performances (despite Luhrmann's inability to understand the characters' real personalities; I hope that wasn't on purpose), but the movie, that adaptation is just too bizarre for me. I mean, reading the book was a delightful experience. Fitzgerald's beautifully written lines are now vulgar images.Anyway, that film made me think about this novel again, so I re-read a couple of chapters and some of my notes. And there are some things I didn't write about. For example, what a bitch Daisy turned out to be. I kind of like her at first, but then, she wasn't better than any of those selfish people that Fitzgerald described so perfectly:They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.I didn't get that, at first, even though the author is telling me she and Tom are the same, right there. “Idiot, read again, it's there. Do you want me to spell it for you?”. I'm guessing I didn't want to believe Gatsby spent his whole damn life chasing a dream that was beneath him. In the end, he wasted his life for someone that just wasn't worth it. He created Gatsby out of nothing to be with Daisy; for God's sake, he died for her. Whatever. They’re a rotten crowd,’ I shouted across the lawn. ‘You’reworth the whole damn bunch put together.’True.Another thing I didn't point out in my previous review was Gatsby's lonely death. A new-rich man, victim of society's most delusional rumors, that threw amazing parties attended by hundreds of people, suddenly, dies in the most pathetic solitude; people were to busy to pay their respects. Sure, they didn't know him, most of them, but you had an open bar, free food, music and stuff for quite some time, was it too hard to stop by and wave at his tomb? That's just common courtesy.He died almost alone (I don't want to spoil this even more). That's one of many ironies life mischievously gives us. When you're up, you're surrounded by hundreds of friends, everyone's free for partying. When you're down (or dead, in the worst-case scenario), only a couple of them stay at your side. The real ones. Those you know you can count on. Because everybody is there for whatever you need, until you need something...This book reminded me I love humanity, as a concept, I think... but I don't like people. Certain people. The ones I know. Most of them. And they probably don't like me. So it's a tie. No hard feelings.

American Gods