Florencia

I love writing, but apparently I don't have any talent, or I can't find it (if it's something you can find), so my dream of becoming a writer is just that. I'm a lawyer now (yup, no kidding).

Anyway, I love books, music, movies, pizza, lemon pie and people with good sense of humor.  If you don't have any, if you make Mary Bennet look funny, interesting and witty, or if you're a fanatic that's still not acquainted with the fact that people have their own personal taste and therefore, their own opinions about books, music, movies, etc., so you can't bear that another person dislikes your favorite book, song, movie, etc., then please don't talk to me. Let's save the awkwardness :)

Cuentos que me apasionaron - Ernesto Sábato This book starts with a heartbreaking prologue. A couple of lines that shows you the quality of this author (this is if you haven't had the fortune of reading his work yet). In the final years of his life, he decided to share with us the stories that he loved, that he never forgot. He wanted us to get to know those authors because he thought it really was worth it. Jeez, he was right. This book alone will take you to other universes, and let me tell you (even though my opinion doesn't change a thing), you won't regret it. There's a couple of writers I've never heard of, and now, they're my next stop. (Well, after I read that Tower of Babel I have as a to-read shelf. There's so much to do and so little time. If only I could be paid just for existing, eating and reading... Fine. Babble over.) Most of them are considered “classics”, but that doesn't mean they're unapproachable, difficult to understand and all that. Actually, several classics aren't. That specific word may lead some judgmental people to the silly conclusion that we're talking about difficult books that make you look smarter (even if they do... for me, it's annoying to listen to a person brag about it). I tried a lot of genres, but, as a “mostly classic” reader, I personally dislike people that think they're better than the rest because they read those books, or people that think that other people think they're better than the rest because they read those books (yup, I got lost too). It happens, people that don't even know you but still give you the “oh you think you're so smart with your Dostoyevsky and your ego that's taking all over the room” look... those people are everywhere. All in all, it's a matter of taste. (Speaking of an objective review, babble #2 over.)I enjoyed reading this book, these stories filled with timeless thoughts and feelings. Sabato also included a little bio of each author, so you can be a bit more prepared. But I don't want to prepare you, at all! I don't want to spoil a single thing. I shall remain in “Siddharta contemplating the talking river” kind of silence, in order to let you read his brilliant selection with all the mystery and excitement intact.

American Gods